Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Valentine's Day

I'm playing the song game with my sister.  Bruce Springsteen's "Valentine's Day" was my latest choice, and I wonder what it would be like to live in the world that the song sounds like.  It sounds like the 50s in the middle of a field of tall grasses, with the car radio playing just a few feet away--everything in that golden light that only lasts a few moments.


Caitlin said she hated that time of day, because it meant the day was ending.  It's one of my favorite times of day, because its sweet--and like everything sweet, it just can't last.  But you'll see it tomorrow, and the next day, and every day until the day you die.  And it's all right it doesn't last, and it's all right that its ending.  Everything ends, eventually.


I've come to realize that it doesn't bother me when things end, because I'd rather have the sweet memories of golden light than forever without change.  The sun overhead is bright, and it illuminates everything and it makes the world a beautiful place and it has its many uses, yes, but there is no mystery, there is no taste or smell to the day, there are no memories made.  When the sun sets, the earth cools off and the light breeze picks up, it seems that time slows down and everything is natural; and it feels like Springsteen's "Valentine's Day."
 
(Picture taken by Keith Vertanen)

No comments:

Post a Comment